Sunday, September 9, 2012

Halfway To The Grave by Jeaniene Frost




**FOUR STARS**

**Review Originally Posted 4/22/2012**
***Spoilage***

First off, Bones is hawwwt and I'm in love.

I was very excited to start this series, especially with all of the positive feedback I've been hearing. I have to say, I was not disappointed at all. Cat and Bones have this relationship - that although it's not exactly...how to say this? not exactly traditional - I must say I want one. Cat has this air about her, something undeniably sexy and appealing. Although as I read I wasn't expecting Cat to be so...inexperienced or bashful. The way she blushed at any sexual comment or innuendo kind of threw me off a bit at first but once Bones snatched her and trained her to be his secret weapon, she stopped that really, really quick.

Pros: I like that Frost has put a twist of sorts on the characteristics of vampires in these books. For starters, I like that they can go out in sunlight and it doesn't kill them. I like that once they die, their bodies age to their "true" age - that is something I'd never seen before and it was a nice touch. I also liked that their eyes glow with emotion, although kind of predictable - it's nice all the same. THE FACT THAT ONLY THE NEW AND FRESH VAMPS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN REPRODUCE!!! THIS! That was one of the things I REALLY, really liked. Because honestly, they're dead. Their hearts don't beat and their sperm count is basically nonexistent.

The plot-line was GREAT. The bad guy was just so perfect and everything he was doing with the whole sex slavery ring was genius. I was not expecting it to go that far and it was so awesome, I seriously enjoyed it.

Sex scenes - although there was really only one it slayed me.

Cat getting all tough and kick-ass was predictable but also, didn't take away from the story.

Cons: Why silver? Silver can kill soooo many things in the world of PNR/Fantasy books. I don't like that I hopped back on the silver train again, but it didn't take away from the greatness of the book whatsoever for me so that was good.

It kind of reminded me a touch of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan. The whole ass kicking red-head with her vamp "sidekick", if you will. And the inclusion of the secret branch of FBI/CIA at the end kind of bummed me out because once again, that was a little too predictable.

The whole all-bodily-fluids-are-red thing. And I mean ALL. It kind of Creeped me out a LOT when I read that.

All in all, a GREAT read and I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for an action-filled great book about vamps and a half-vamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Reading!

Blog Archive