Friday, July 11, 2014

July '14 AOTM

Yeah, we're doing this again. Drum roll, if you please.

*Taps fingers ridiculously*




You've probably already read her books. But in the event that you are like me and have not, I'll give you a quick run down. Which means I'm going to tell you what I'm thinking so far. HERE is a link to the entire series on Goodreads.

Sweet Evil. Kick-ass premise, characters aren't too bad - Saint Anna is kind of dancing on a nerve though - the setting is cool. Albeit lacking detail. The writing is awesome. Ms. Higgins has a way with words that makes me want to keep reading even though at some points I asked myself "Why the hell am I still reading this?". It's one of those you-shouldn't-watch-but-you-can't-look-away kind of thing.

The one two things I can't really get jiggy with are: Saint Anna. She is supposed to be "good". But she's too good. She's crossed over to the realm of unrealistic/making it harder to suspend reality. There isn't a sixteen year old girl in Atlanta that hasn't at least had a kiss. And I can almost guarantee you that they lie all the time. And especially because of her nature, she should've been doing it all her life, but no. 

Next thing: The lack of conflict. Everything is moving too smoothly. It's all falling into their laps. Per example: Anna needs to go to California to....let's just say she has to go. She needs money for plane tickets. The neighborhood ice cream parlor hires her weird ass on the spot. Patti's tires blow and she has to use the money they saved - that's okay! Super Kai(den) to the rescue with is father's bank account and sudden trustworthiness. (I won't even go into that one. You have to read it.) Anna's like an open book and Kaiden can "read" her too easy: she learns how to conceal her emotions within the span of two pages and she's suddenly an expert. **SPOILER ALERT** Skip down if you don't want to see. She assumes her dad is an evil son of a bitch whom she'll hate and despise all her life: she meets him and - I shit you not - during the time they talk, he cries. Like four times. Because he lurved her mother.





I just can't with that. Aside from that, there's nothing that makes me want to put the book down so I'm going to keep reading until the trilogy is over.

Next up: Sweet Peril.


Although I fail to see how she stretched this story out into three books....We shall see, then shant we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Reading!